radiation therapy to have or not to have it?

Talk about anything here.
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
jezza
Forum Queen
Forum Queen
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: radiation therapy to have or not to have it?

Postby jezza » Wed Nov 08, 2017 10:32 am

Just saw this and I guess you have already read this thread. So hard when the decision is up to you. Did you get any indication which way your medical team was leaning? ....what they would do in your situation? No doubt you have been googling like mad as well!

Please let us now what you decide. I really feel for you.

hugs

jezza
Dx Jan. 1992 9mm Grade 3 IDC node neg. LB mast. Prophylactic RB mast. 6 months later. No chemo. No rads. Saline implants. 22 years NED. (No Evidence of Disease)

dianpw

Postby dianpw » Wed Nov 08, 2017 9:47 am

This is a tough one to make,...and I have to make one in 4 hours ...
Should I skip radiation which means continue on with my recovery from surgery and back to normal life and don't have to endure any side effects of radiation although have higher risk of the DCIS recurring OR go through radiation (25 sessions), feeling fatique etc, but reduce the recurring risk rate by 50% ?
What make it harder to make the decision is because even the RO said "I wont twist your arm to do it" ... whats that suppose too mean ??
I had DCIS stage 0, intermediate grade, margin clear and had lumpectomy ..
Sorry if my typing a bit everywhere ladies ..
Decision...decision...decision ...

jane dio
Your Maj
Your Maj

Postby jane dio » Tue Jun 20, 2017 7:01 am

Hi Judy, I finished radiotherapy 2 weeks ago. My tumor was stage 1 grade2. I have no family history of any cancer. I also had my cancer found every early and thank my lucky stars every day. I also went thru the thoughts of not having treatment after
surgery but decided that my best chance of this this not coming back was to go ahead. I am now 1 week off starting Tamoxifen for 5 yrs. My decision was based on all the research I did and knowing I have done everything possible not to have recurrence not only for me but my family. Very hard personal choice. You have to be comfortable in your own decisions and i'm sorry it's a battle for you. There is no right or wrong here. And no one has the right to judge you until they have walked in your shoes. I wish you well OXOXO
17/3/2017 IDC NOS -, E-Cadherin + ER + PR +. Lumpectomy & Sentinel Node removal 30/3/17

ruth1
Forum Queen
Forum Queen

Postby ruth1 » Fri Jun 16, 2017 10:34 am

These decisions are hard - I was borderline for chemo and had 1 Onc saying I really need to do it and another saying I didn't. Its so hard to weigh up what is best under the circumstances when already very stressed out with having this damn disease. All you can do is the research and decide what is best for you. I had family history and also high grade tumours so that swayed me to go with it. As others have said - I also needed to know that if I did have a recurrence I had done all that I could have to prevent that. Good luck - none of this is easy Judy.
Dx IDC 2cm grade 3 ER/PR pos. DCIS grade 3, fam hist metastatic BC. Bi lat mastectomy, FEC x 4, surgical revision pending. AI x 5 yrs Femara

judy01

Postby judy01 » Fri Jun 16, 2017 9:29 am

Hi ladies for all your replies and words of advice.

I had my meeting yesterday with the Oncologist and she didn't convince me enough to take radiation therapy however she gave me some more websites to check out to do more research.

my cancer was the lowest and it was detected very early and removed stage 1A grade 1

I have until 10 July to make my final decision.

best wishes and thanks again for your replies and keep well

jezza
Forum Queen
Forum Queen

Postby jezza » Fri Jun 02, 2017 6:52 pm

Oh just to add ,Judy. Please let us know what you decide to do. Very stressful time for you.

jezza
Dx Jan. 1992 9mm Grade 3 IDC node neg. LB mast. Prophylactic RB mast. 6 months later. No chemo. No rads. Saline implants. 22 years NED. (No Evidence of Disease)

schoolteacher
Forum Queen
Forum Queen

Postby schoolteacher » Wed May 31, 2017 8:16 pm

All has been said. Do your research and listen to the advice of the experts then make a decision that you can live with. I also did all that I could to prevent a recurrence as I had lost a close friend to BC.

jayem
Forum Queen
Forum Queen

Postby jayem » Wed May 31, 2017 5:16 pm

Hi Judy

This is a tough one. All I can tell you is that I wanted to know I had done everything possible to prevent a recurrence so I took all the recommendations on board, did my research and ran with the lot.

There are no guarantees but it is important to know you will have no regrets. As my Onc said at the time, we can aim for a cure first time round, but that won't happen if it comes back.

Best wishes with your decision.
Jan

Dx 20 Sept 2006, 2 cm IDC + DCIS, 1/16+ node, ER+, PR+, HER2-, 4 AC, 4 Taxol, 33 rads
CFEM Trial 5 years Arimidex, 5 year SOLE trial Femara
Dx Aug 2016 neuroendocrine cancer in pancreas, mets to liver, abdominal nodes, hip, skull, scalp and breast.

Janette
Forum Legend

Postby Janette » Wed May 31, 2017 3:35 pm

Hi Judy,
There are good reasons for and against rads as with most treatments. It isn't easy to make the decision at all. I believe we need to do our own research and then run it past the Oncologist to dispel or uphold concerns. Best of luck with your decision. :hugs:
Janette

jezza
Forum Queen
Forum Queen

Postby jezza » Wed May 31, 2017 10:12 am

hi Judy...and welcome to the forum.

It's a tough decision...and one I had to make re chemo. I had a mastectomy and decided on a second mastectomy 6 months later, so my situation was different. I spent a long time discussing the pros and cons of further treatment with my medical team but in the end it was my decision. I did go (I think!) with the way they were leaning but it was a hard choice and of course you second guess for a long time.

A work collegue had a lumpectomy some months ago and decided against radiation therapy. She comes from a medical family and I know they, and some other of her medical friends thought she had done the wrong thing but that was the decision she made.

Probably not much help I know, but I do know how troubling it is to make that call.

Please speak to your Drs of your concerns and they will be able to help, as Ruth says, taking your results into consideration and also the effects rads might have on you.

Great that you re feeling good!

jezza

judy01

Postby judy01 » Wed May 31, 2017 10:07 am

Thanks Ruth, no I did not have any cancer cells in my lyph nodes. I agree I am going to talk to of course with my oncologist but just thought I would see if anyone in the Forum has decided on this and what thoughts and experiences are out there.

ruth1
Forum Queen
Forum Queen

Postby ruth1 » Wed May 31, 2017 9:05 am

Judy did you have any cancer cells in your lymph nodes and also your pathology results with degree of hormone positivity would be looked at but the best advice would be from your treatment team - might be worth seeing the Oncologist for a chat before making decisions.
Dx IDC 2cm grade 3 ER/PR pos. DCIS grade 3, fam hist metastatic BC. Bi lat mastectomy, FEC x 4, surgical revision pending. AI x 5 yrs Femara

judy01

radiation therapy to have or not to have it?

Postby judy01 » Tue May 30, 2017 11:09 pm

Hi
I'm interested in any comments about the above. I've just had a lumpectory 2 weeks ago today and feeling very well. No pain in my arms or right breast where I had the breast conserving surgery. I am "lucky"the size removed was 11 mm and grade 1. However my mother had breast cancer so there is family history of it. Because I am feeling OK and so far have had no side effects to the surgery I am considering NOT having radiation therapy or taking therapy drugs eg Tamoxifen. Anyone out there thinking or done the same ... Judy01

Return to “General Discussions”