What am I in for?

Talk about anything here.
ruth1
Forum Queen
Forum Queen
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: What am I in for?

Postby ruth1 » Thu Sep 24, 2015 9:46 pm

glad to hear all good so far. Will be great to get home and into your own bed. :clap:
Dx IDC 2cm grade 3 ER/PR pos. DCIS grade 3, fam hist metastatic BC. Bi lat mastectomy, FEC x 4, surgical revision pending. AI x 5 yrs Femara

Marydean
Forum Queen
Forum Queen
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby Marydean » Thu Sep 24, 2015 9:12 pm

Glad it went well, even gladder that you'll be heading home tomorrow. Fingers crossed for good results next week. :hug:
Dancing through life, healing every cell in my body.

JudyB
Forum Queen
Forum Queen

Postby JudyB » Thu Sep 24, 2015 9:06 pm

Glad to hear it all went well. It does take getting used to but funnily enough when I went for my reconstruction I kind of felt strange saying goodbye to my new look. Difficult to explain but you do get to not like but accept and feel ok with the new look.

Good that your hubby is being such a good support. Mine was extremely good at that stage. I remember I didn't want to look at myself and I went to have a shower and he came in with me. Of course when I undressed there was a big mirror in the bathroom and I couldn't help but see. I wasn't prepared for it and I kind of whimpered. He was there to say it was ok and support me, I was very appreciative.

Goodluck with the results.
DX Sep 09, LB mast with axillary diss. Grd 2 Ductal Carc. 50mm diam. Margins clear. 1/13 nodes. OR+ PR+, HER2- . FEC x 3, Taxotere x 3, RADS x 30, Tamoxifen, DIEP reconstruction April 2011, Femara 2013, Oophorectomy 2013.

Babysaurs
Guru
Guru

Postby Babysaurs » Thu Sep 24, 2015 6:37 pm

Surgery went as well as can be expected. Not sure what I think of my new look will take some getting used to.
Still in hospital will go home tomorrow. Nurses and doctors have been great. I managed to have a few laughs along the way. Stuck Fluro yellow smiley face stickers on my boobs just before surgery for a laugh in theatre:)
Feel like a pin cushion.
Will find out results Monday but hoping my nodes are all clear otherwise I'll be back in surgery on Tuesday:(
Hubby has been amazing couldn't do this without him. And it really is a day by day journey.
Thank you for thinking of me xx
DX 15/9/15 Bilateral BC
Bilateral Masectomy left axcillary clearance
1.3cm Grade 3 IDC or- pr+ her2- / Grade Medullery 3.6cm wealky or+ weakly pr+ HER2-
AC x4 T x12

Janette
Forum Legend

Postby Janette » Mon Sep 21, 2015 10:46 pm

All the best for tomorrow and a speedy recovery. :hugs:
Janette

The new girl
Forum Queen
Forum Queen

Postby The new girl » Mon Sep 21, 2015 10:44 pm

:hugs: babysauras,all the best for tomorrow,will be thinking of you.....Rosa

CarolynLee
Guru
Guru

Postby CarolynLee » Mon Sep 21, 2015 9:28 pm

All the best for tomorrow - I will keep you and your family in my prayers :angel:

ruth1
Forum Queen
Forum Queen

Postby ruth1 » Mon Sep 21, 2015 8:18 pm

hoping all goes well tomorrow. :hugs:
Dx IDC 2cm grade 3 ER/PR pos. DCIS grade 3, fam hist metastatic BC. Bi lat mastectomy, FEC x 4, surgical revision pending. AI x 5 yrs Femara

schoolteacher
Forum Queen
Forum Queen

Postby schoolteacher » Sun Sep 20, 2015 10:52 pm

I have to agree with Travey. I concentrated on one procedure at a time and got through that way. Taking things "a day at a time" is the best way to cope.
I got my husband to answer phone calls and run interference when I didn't feel like speaking to people.
Clear scans is great :clap:

Eirelass
Superstar
Superstar

Postby Eirelass » Sat Sep 19, 2015 10:56 pm

Just want to send some :hugs: :hugs: and will be thinking of you Tuesday.

And the fact you can post a 'lol' shows you have strength and you WILL get through this :heart: :heart:
Dx 28/3/12, EBC, Invasive DCIS; 4/5/12 Hookwire WLE & SNB, Grade 2, 16mm, 0/3 nodes, clear margins, ER+ PR+, HER2-; Rads July-Sept 2012. Tamoxifen. Writing my story www.girlinthepinkfreeruns.com

Cancer will not change you. It will amplify who you already were before you were diagnosed

CarolynLee
Guru
Guru

Postby CarolynLee » Sat Sep 19, 2015 4:50 pm

Feeling so much for you - so sudden and so traumatic for the whole family. mastectomy can leave you feeling numb physically - good in one way. I'm 6 weeks from that and 4 weeks from lymph nodes out.
i had long hair and had it cut short so I could get used to having short hair and what it felt like before no hair - chemo starting soon.

The roller coaster of emotions is normal and I understand you not wanting to talk to people - sometimes "me" time is what you need.

You have certainly been hit with a lot - one day at a time, try not to look too far ahead. some days are doable, and some days aren't and that's ok.

Enjoy your night away.

So glad you have a good doctor.

Big hugs xx

Tracey Gibney
Forum Queen
Forum Queen

Postby Tracey Gibney » Sat Sep 19, 2015 12:37 am

Babysaurs it is a big relief that your ct and bone scan were all clear. The only way to get through this time is to take a deep breath and literally take one day at a time. If you look at the big picture of double mastectomy, chemo and rads it is overwhelming. So just focus on the upcoming surgery. I was 34 when I had my mastectomy and 21 years later I still haven't had the reconstruction I thought I would have! It never seemed important enough to go through another surgery. I have really found my idea of what was important changed with having breast cancer. Knitted Knockers australia provide free of charge two very soft prosthesis that I think you could probably wear very soon after surgery and later you can be fitted for a proper prosthesis. Sending you hug and hope you recover quickly from your surgery.
EBC 94 aged 34. Mastectomy CMF, tamoxifen. Mets 07 brachial plexus, supra clavicular node, sternum. Treated with AI's Rads x3 Ooph 09. 2014 met to chest wall,surg, rads. 12/14 Multiple bone mets, rt axillary nodes further recurrence chest wall. Failed on Faslodex. 8/15 Ibrance

Janette
Forum Legend

Postby Janette » Fri Sep 18, 2015 8:49 pm

I was also told no to keeping nipples, I have reconstructed nipples and they're great and certainly in my case not worth the risk of retaining the real ones. I was advised to have bilateral masts and I've never looked back. My implants are perky and better than the originals.

Triple negative means estrogen, progesterone and HER2 negative. My understanding is that chemo is an important treatment for those with triple neg. I think BRCA1 is usually triple neg but I may be wrong. These are things to discuss with your Doctors. It's good that it is being done quickly, I had to wait 6 weeks. Good luck with surgery. :hugs:
Janette

ruth1
Forum Queen
Forum Queen

Postby ruth1 » Fri Sep 18, 2015 8:16 pm

NB - this info applies to my case personally - I don't want you to read it and think its the way it is for all.

I asked for a dble mastectomy and I also researched and figured that by doing that I could avoid rads. At this point it was thought that I had only 1 small tumour. The Drs agreed that rads isn't necessary with a dble mastectomy. Because of not having rads I could have implants put in straight after mastectomy. I asked for my nipples to be spared (procedure is called skin and nipple sparing mastectomies) - again remember only 1 tumour showing at this point. The surgeon told me that my nipples may not survive the procedures and may die after re attachment and one nearly did. I read that heat was important to optimize blood supply so I kept a space blanket over them after surgery and they survived. Later when the path results came in there was a tumour found close to 1 nipple so I had to go back a few months later to have the margin checked. It was fine so all good.

The Surgeon explained to me that even with dble mastectomies there is still breast tissue left against the chest wall - its simply not possible to remove it all so I figured that if that's the case then keeping nipples wouldn't mean a higher risk of recurrence and even if there was, the lump would be easily felt against the nipple now because there is no fat left and only the implant.

Each individual thinks differently about this whole ordeal. I met a lady who is fine having a totally flat chest - I couldn't do that. I also met a lady that was so freaked out abut her lack of hair that she wouldn't even let her family see her and moved into another room with a locked door so she could wig before starting her day. I wanted my nipples but if the advice was to take them for safety I would have said yes.

Babysaurs
Guru
Guru

Postby Babysaurs » Fri Sep 18, 2015 6:03 pm

Surgery is this Tuesday. Hubby and I are staying in town in a hotel together the night before, make the most of my last night with boobs lol
Doc is talking aggressive treatment so I assume chemo and radiation therapy after chemo from what she said. Although a lot depends on pathology when all is removed.
I'm so glad I came across this forum a few months ago. At that stage I just found a lump and I never posted seemed silly at this to post about a lump that could be nothing when lots of you where going through so much more.
Someone asked if we had travel insurance earlier and I forgot to reply that we do so one less thing to worry about.
Had my sons sports day today so I had all these people coming up to me to see how I was which was nice in some ways but in others I just wanted to be left alone.
How were you able to save your nipple ruth1? I've been told they have to go to:(
No more saggy boobs sound promising though!
I've always had longer hair so short hair is scary but it's certainly one way to try it out.
My doc says to prepare for the next 12 months to be bad.
Plan ATM is op Tuesday double mastectomy. Remove some lymth nodes I think then they'll be tested and more nave removers in a latex op depending on results.
The few weeks to recover from op, then 4-6 months of chemo, then maybe 4-6 weeks of radiation then maybe hormones.
Doc thinks pathology will come back as triple negative not 100% sure what that means though forgot to ask doc info overload I think.
I'll do my last day at work tomorrow then who knows when I'll go back.
I have 2 very good friends coming tomorrow night I haven't told them yet so will then, after that though I don't have to tell anyone else they can find out on the grapevine lol.
Thank you everyone here for being so supportive and lovely it means a lot.
DX 15/9/15 Bilateral BC
Bilateral Masectomy left axcillary clearance
1.3cm Grade 3 IDC or- pr+ her2- / Grade Medullery 3.6cm wealky or+ weakly pr+ HER2-
AC x4 T x12

Return to “General Discussions”