Breast Cancer Cluster Research - I NEED YOUR HELP!!!

Many people give their time in different ways to improve conditions for the breast cancer community. Here we can discuss what's happening and what needs to happen. We can also celebrate the successes, acknowledge the input and learn how we can help or become involved.
ellie1326
Hot-shot
Hot-shot
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: Breast Cancer Cluster Research - I NEED YOUR HELP!!!

Postby ellie1326 » Wed Aug 11, 2010 5:28 pm

That sounds very interesting. I can't help as I grew up overseas and my cancer is genetic, but it will be very intersting to follow your reasearch. Please keep us updated!!!
Ellie-34-BRCA2+,BC 09,BM+TAH+BSO
In love with DH 45-MS
Proudest mum to 2 miracles-DD1-big Miss 8yo + DD2 little Miss 2yo

As you rest in Gods care I will rest too, knowing that Jesus is watching over you!!!

Kiangel
Guru
Guru

Postby Kiangel » Wed Aug 11, 2010 5:02 pm

Thank you so much for your reply :)

I think I am going to have to start an excel spreadsheet or something..lol..I heard the stats are around 50 diagnoses of invasive breast cancer in women between 30 and 35 each year in Victoria. It would be very interesting to find out where those diagnoses are and where those women lived/grew up prior to diagnosis.

Hmmmm food for thought..food for thought.

I'm also interesting if anyone is keen to help me??..hahaha

yowyow
Forum Queen
Forum Queen

Postby yowyow » Wed Aug 11, 2010 4:52 pm

Hi Kim,

Was dx in mid 30's in 2006

Grew up in Research/Warrandyte - not that far hey
Nav
every day without laughter is a wasted day !!!!

Kiangel
Guru
Guru

Postby Kiangel » Wed Aug 11, 2010 4:22 pm

Hi Gail,

Thanks for your response. I really appreciate it. I'm glad I am not the only one who has wondered this.

Considering the ABC Cluster (I think it was around 18 or more women) I have always wondered about things.

What area were you in and the other women? If you don't mind my asking.

I really want to dig into this, but because it is soooooo broad and people would have most likely moved to different areas and been diagnosed in different areas it is hard to track.

But I just can't let it go damnit..lol

Gail
Forum Legend
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby Gail » Wed Aug 11, 2010 4:14 pm

Hi we have discussed this recently as a few of us have had too many co incidences, In fact I said exactly what you said, that why is there not a register of where lived, worked etc as out of 7 women I worked with 4 of us contracted breast cancer and one died at 49 of motor nurone and m.s. What the!!!!

I even wondered if there was some sort of Government cover up!!!!

Regards,

Gail
"You Gotta Laugh!"

Gail

Diagnosed April 2006,Lumpectomy,17 of 25 nodes positive, chemo, radiation. Finished treatment March 07
Diagnosed July 2012 cancer of mediastinal(nodes around lungs and heart)pelvis and spine. Up for the fight!

Kiangel
Guru
Guru

Breast Cancer Cluster Research - I NEED YOUR HELP!!!

Postby Kiangel » Wed Aug 11, 2010 3:53 pm

Hi Guys,

I recently found out two girls I went to High School with (Lilydale High School) have been diagnosed with breast cancer this year. I was diagnosed in 2007. This puts us all in our early 30's at time of diagnosis. There is a potential 4th girl, but this is not confirmned.

These are alarming and interesting statistics. Enough for me to put on my research hat and the need, want, have to dig around further. I am not jumping to any assumption that a cluster could be involved, but I would like to to seriously investigate this.

Everything, I have been told so far from people (in the know) have said this is probably "due to chance than anything else". All the known risk factors for breast cancer relate to individual characteristics rather than environmental exposures. When we are diagnosed we are not questioned about where we grew up, what high school we attended, what sport arena we spent every weekend at..etc..

Another interesting fact I found on the Cancer Council site was a map that showed over the last 10 years instances of breast cancer have been above state average in areas like the North-Eastern Metropolitian area. This includes places like Lilydale, Healesville, Mill Park, Whittlesea, Upper Yarra, Croydon, Burwood, Balwyn etc.

http://vcrdata.cancervic.org.au:8082/ccv/#map

To see what I am talking about fill in the section on the right to include "breast cancer" "Incidence" "Female" " Last 10 Years" etc

I don't know if any reports or any statistics or the like have discussed this or mentioned it.

Does anyone else find this alarming or at least interesting?

If you or someone you know has lived, worked or spent a lot of time in this area and have been diagnosed with breast cancer I would love to hear from you. For now I would just love to compile some data to see if this should be investigated further.

Either message me here or email me on kimpinker@iinet.net.au

Thanks.

Kim

Return to “Projects, Issues and Actions”