Mates on a Mission

Many people give their time in different ways to improve conditions for the breast cancer community. Here we can discuss what's happening and what needs to happen. We can also celebrate the successes, acknowledge the input and learn how we can help or become involved.
Janine
Founding Member
Founding Member
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby Janine » Fri Feb 27, 2009 12:11 am

Website for Bard - I have no idea of costs etc..

For those of us who have standard ports that can also be used for bloods (not CT), there is still the issue of pathology nurses not being trained or having the kit necessary to use them.
Janine

Doxiamonev
Forum Queen
Forum Queen

Postby Doxiamonev » Thu Feb 26, 2009 9:32 pm

That has made my day too Ann :hi5:
Hugs

Doxia
Some people are always grumbling because roses have thorns; I am thankful that thorns have roses." Alphonse Karr

Dx 27.12.07,Gr 3, IDC Lt breast 1cm (Prim Ca) & 2.5cm (L/Node)
Bilateral Mastectomy & tissue expanders inserted, Axc. clearance 1/17+, Triple Neg.Tx 4 AC chemo,12 wkly Taxol (28/7/08)2 yrs NED!

Ann
Founding Member
Founding Member
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby Ann » Thu Feb 26, 2009 5:45 pm

Hi Doxia,

I've just spoken to our breast care nurse again and your scarves and hats were a great hit. It turns out they had a Looking Good Feeling Better day at the hospital today - so the timing was perfect. Kerry said that the ladies swooped on them and they went off like hot cakes. One lady took one of the turban stlyes to unpick and make a pattern from. So you made a lot of ladies very happy today :clap: :grouphug: :clap:

:hugs: Ann
Carpe Diem

Ann
Founding Member
Founding Member

Postby Ann » Thu Feb 26, 2009 5:41 pm

Thanks Janine,
All suggestions will be put to the meeting and we'll see what the outcome is. There are so many issues that no one knows about. It will be good if we can help to address some of those. I think so many of us think of surgery, chemo & radiation as being the set treatments for cancer, but we are not aware of the actual mechanics of delivering the treatments. Because we are a small group at the moment, my feeling is that we should address some of the smaller and less expensive matters. The purpose of Saturdays meeting is for everyone to bring the results of their research over the last couple of weeks and take it from there. Any further links/information on the ports and their cost would be very handy if you are able to provide them.
Carpe Diem

Janine
Founding Member
Founding Member

Postby Janine » Thu Feb 26, 2009 1:33 pm

Ann, there is another issue that affects quite a few of us - the use of our ports for bloods and/CT contrast and anything else that might require access to a vein.

There is a 'new' port available (a Bard Power Port) that can be used for the high pressure injection of CT contrast as well as for bloods and infusions. Unfortunately, at many hospitals, staff in the different departments are not trained to use ports and continue to try to use our abused and jaded veins. This can be quite traumatic at times and is really unnecessary.

Can we encourage hospitals to (1) use these Power Ports and (2) provide staff with the training and correct kit to use them?

Just a thought.
Janine

Ann
Founding Member
Founding Member

Postby Ann » Thu Feb 26, 2009 1:11 pm

Thanks for that Janine - I'll check it out. There are always a lot of pros & cons over things like that.
Doxia, I gave the hats and scarves to our breast care nurse this morning and she is going to place them in the oncology ward.
:grouphug: Ann x
Carpe Diem

Doxiamonev
Forum Queen
Forum Queen

Postby Doxiamonev » Wed Feb 25, 2009 10:18 pm

You are welcome Ann :wave:
Hugs

Doxia
Some people are always grumbling because roses have thorns; I am thankful that thorns have roses." Alphonse Karr

Bilateral Mastectomy & tissue expanders inserted, Axc. clearance 1/17+, Triple Neg.Tx 4 AC chemo,12 wkly Taxol (28/7/08)2 yrs NED!

Janine
Founding Member
Founding Member

Postby Janine » Wed Feb 25, 2009 5:44 pm

Sorry, I haven't looked into it and can't help with stats Ann. Perhaps Sparkles has more info on this.

There are quite a few discussions re the merit (or not) of MRIs for screening younger women.
Some eg.s -

? from msnbc.com

from breastcancer.org

from cancerbackup.org.uk
Janine

Ann
Founding Member
Founding Member

Postby Ann » Wed Feb 25, 2009 3:24 pm

Carpe Diem

Ann
Founding Member
Founding Member

Postby Ann » Wed Feb 25, 2009 3:20 pm

Carpe Diem

Janine
Founding Member
Founding Member

Postby Janine » Wed Feb 25, 2009 1:57 pm

Hi Ann, yes that is very good news but unfortunately it only applies to those with a strong family history.

:hugs:
Janine

Ann
Founding Member
Founding Member

Postby Ann » Wed Feb 25, 2009 8:33 am

:clap: :clap: Hi Sparkles,
I found out some pleasing news today. I decided to do some research about MRI for younger women, prior to our meeting on Saturday. I was pleased to discover that from 1st February this year a Medicare Benefit will be payable for women under 50, with a second benefit if another MRI is required for the follow up of any abnormalities detected in the previous 12 months. I got this info from www.medicalnewstoday.com
More about this and other interesting articles can be found at www.nbocc.org.au
Cheers,
Ann
:clap:
Carpe Diem

Ann
Founding Member
Founding Member

Postby Ann » Thu Feb 19, 2009 11:14 pm

Thanks so much Doxia, I'll let you know when they arrive,
:clap: Ann x
Carpe Diem

Doxiamonev
Forum Queen
Forum Queen

Postby Doxiamonev » Thu Feb 19, 2009 8:19 pm

Hey Ann,
Just wanted to letyou know I have posted the scalfs/hats, they should get there by Monday.
Cheers
Hugs

Doxia

Ann
Founding Member
Founding Member

Postby Ann » Wed Feb 18, 2009 1:27 pm

Thanks heaps Doxia,

Carpe Diem

Return to “Projects, Issues and Actions”