Budget provides provision for funding of breast prosthesis

Many people give their time in different ways to improve conditions for the breast cancer community. Here we can discuss what's happening and what needs to happen. We can also celebrate the successes, acknowledge the input and learn how we can help or become involved.
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Cyndie
Enlightened one
Enlightened one

Postby Cyndie » Mon Jun 16, 2008 9:57 pm

Hi Janine & Linda,

The NBOCC will be facilitating this, so not sure how long it will take to roll out, I would envisage over the next few months.
Cyndie
Living every day!!!!

Janine
Founding Member
Founding Member
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby Janine » Sat Jun 14, 2008 10:16 pm

Thanks Linda M. I just remembered this thread.

I need a new prosthesis and although I'm getting used to going lop-sided most of the time (haven't been able to wear a bra for a while), I don't think I'm brave enough to go lop-sided in bathers yet. So I thought I might get a swim prosthesis this time. Hopefully, it doesn't matter what type you get.

Any further info from BCAG, Cyndie? Will the subsidy be any different now in Vic?
Janine

Cyndie
Enlightened one
Enlightened one

Postby Cyndie » Mon May 19, 2008 11:38 pm

Thanks for that link Linda,

You will probably find that BCAG NSW and Vic have been the ones doing most of the advocating in getting this through - BCAG approached the Shadow Minister, Nicola Roxon last year before the election, after Tony Abbott announced the federal funding for the prosthesis and the breast care nurses. Nicola advised then that if Labor won, then that commitment would be honoured.

Needless to say, it might take a while to roll out with the NBOCC.... Sooner would be good, but we know how slowly the wheels turn...

Will let you know more details shortly - BCAG NSW are awaiting further info from NBOCC and have been following up. Our next meeting is next week, so will give you an update.
Cyndie
Living every day!!!!

Linda M
Your Maj
Your Maj

Budget provides provision for funding of breast prosthesis

Postby Linda M » Mon May 19, 2008 6:02 pm

The budget handed down last week has provided funds for funding of breast prosthesis.

It is believed that this funding will be made available through the National Breast and Ovarian Cancer Centre. But details about this are not yet available

To read more, here is the link:

http://www.bcna.org.au/content/view/849/1/

exert from budget article
Breast Prostheses

$31.0 million has been allocated over five years to the National Breast and Ovarian Cancer Centre (NBOCC) for breast prostheses. This measure will provide women with a subsidy for the purchase of breast prostheses, and allow for the replacement of prostheses every two to five years. This commitment was also made during the 2007 federal election campaign.

BCNA has been advocating for many years for a national prosthesis subsidy program and welcomes this commitment. We look forward to working with the NBOCC to assist in the development of this program.

The funding for additional Breast Care Nurses and the Breast Prostheses subsidy program are part of the Australian Government's ‘National Cancer Plan'. The National Cancer Plan, which includes a wide range of cancer initiatives, has received total funding of $249 million for this budget period.

Additional funding for hospitals has also been a significant feature in this federal budget. BCNA will continue to advocate on behalf of women with breast cancer to ensure that these budget allocations contribute to improving women's treatment and care.

Regards
Linda :clap:

Return to “Projects, Issues and Actions”