Welcome to this new section

Many people give their time in different ways to improve conditions for the breast cancer community. Here we can discuss what's happening and what needs to happen. We can also celebrate the successes, acknowledge the input and learn how we can help or become involved.
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Ann
Founding Member
Founding Member
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

to work or not to work?

Postby Ann » Thu Jan 04, 2007 10:15 pm

Yes Cheryl, I think I must count my blessings that although I'm not in paid employment, I have the time now to give something back to the community. It's just that after so many years of working, I found it hard to value myself in terms other than financial! I know that sounds dumb, but I just didn't seem to be able to help it for a while. I definitely agree that medication can make it harder to concentrate and think clearly. I'm glad you're managing to keep working and I hope things will continue to improve for you,
Cheers,
Ann
Carpe Diem

cheryl
Founding Member
Founding Member

Postby cheryl » Thu Jan 04, 2007 6:33 pm

Ann, I still work and enjoy the fulfillment but the downside is it doesn't allow you a lot of time to concentrate on doing research, etc. re bccr. the medication seems to make you a little more fatigued a little quicker than normal. but I just keep plodding on.

All is well with me at present, and I too look forward to crossing paths in 2007.
Cheryl

Ann
Founding Member
Founding Member

Postby Ann » Wed Jan 03, 2007 12:00 pm

Thanks Cheryl,
This new venture has been a real life saver for me. After my second diagnosis I had to give up a job I loved and I felt very lost. God indeed moves in mysterious ways: the girl who took over my job was secretary of the local VIEW club. She invited me to join and Isa Graham was guest speaker at one of our dinner meetings. Isa started Women on a Mission to raise money for a local lady who needed Herceptin. At the meeting she expressed her desire to still be active in cancer support after Herceptin went on PBS, and was looking for new members. I jumped at the chance to be involved. Isa is a very dynamic person and very encouraging, so I've learnt a lot from her. The group nominated me to attend the BCNA Summit in Sydney and that was a new and fantastic experience. Just hearing so many courageous women telling their stories of how they are actively networking and helping, even under very trying circumstances, was an inspiration.
I hope all is well with you at present and I look forward to keeping in touch with you during 2007,
All the best,
Ann
Carpe Diem

cheryl
Founding Member
Founding Member

Postby cheryl » Wed Jan 03, 2007 10:49 am

Ann, good on you, all the best of luck in your venture, I hope all goes well.
Cheryl

Ann
Founding Member
Founding Member

Postby Ann » Mon Jan 01, 2007 9:14 am

Hi Janine,
Thanks for this new section. I'd like to make people aware of Mates on a Mission (formerly Women on a Mission). We have changed our name because we have recently welcomed our first male member. Our aim is to provide support for cancer patients, their family and friends. We are in the process of setting up a centre where people can call in for a chat over a cuppa. We intend to put together information about local services as well as assisting those who have to travel for treatment. We have rented a room for one day a week at this stage. We are at present getting our policies and procedures in place and we hope to open in Feb or March. Following an article in our local paper, we have been donated a computer, printer and scanner. We've held 2 fundraising barbeques on Sat mornings outside a local hardware store, K & D Warehouse. The proprietors have been fantastic to us; providing a bbq, gas, table and umbrella free of charge. I've completed one volunteer training course and we'll get some more training happening now that we have a room. If it goes well, we'll open on more days. I'd welcome any comments or suggestions from this forum. I've contacted BCNA and the Cancer Council. I've also got some brochures for The Young Ones, as the head of oncology at GV Health has asked us to try and establish a support group for younger people. I have applied to do a public speaking course with the National Breast Cancer Centre. If anyone has any suggestions or anything they would like promoted, please let me know. We've found that there seems to be a need for more info and support for carers.
All the best for a happy and healthy 2007,
Ann
Carpe Diem

Janine
Founding Member
Founding Member

Welcome to this new section

Postby Janine » Thu Dec 28, 2006 2:31 pm

I have opened this new discussion area for those of you who are 'out there', giving your time for the benefit of the breast cancer community. This includes individuals and groups involved in raising awareness, fund-raising, lobbying, research, representing, supporting, advocacy, etc. There is so much happening but unless we are involved or know someone who is, we usually remain unaware until/unless it hits the news. I hope that you will use this area to keep us all informed, to discuss issues and projects and encourage involvement.

I would also like to invite anyone who has an interest to consider volunteering as a moderator for this part of the forum (minimal time involved). Please contact me for more info by clicking the 'email' button below.
Janine

Return to “Projects, Issues and Actions”