Clothing Survey - have your say!

Many people give their time in different ways to improve conditions for the breast cancer community. Here we can discuss what's happening and what needs to happen. We can also celebrate the successes, acknowledge the input and learn how we can help or become involved.
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Janine
Founding Member
Founding Member
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby Janine » Sun Nov 25, 2007 11:14 am

Just bumping this thread for our newer members who may not have seen it.

:bump:

This is an important survey - we can make a difference.
Janine

phoenix
Wise one
Wise one

Postby phoenix » Mon Oct 15, 2007 10:28 pm

Thanks Jo
I have networked a lot with the NBCF on this project and they are very supportive. They are really encouraging researchers these days to start focusing on life after surgery as survival is constantly improving. For me I am 9 yrs down the track and this survey is about everyday normal living - choice, impulse buying, being able to browse and enjoy that. But I have heard from many women who are newly adjusting and simple things like finding dull plain old bras when you first shop for a bra can be utterly devastating. Coming to terms with a lot of the practical adjustments is made harder simply because of lack of choice. I appreciate though that on the list of priorities when you've faced breast cancer clothing issues aren't top concern, but these sorts of things can be quite silent sadnesses for some women. I'm just in a particular space in my life where I can take this on. I'd like to think that we can do something about this.
Thanks for your help with this Jo.

Julie

jaybee
Forum Queen
Forum Queen

Postby jaybee » Mon Oct 15, 2007 9:54 pm

Thanks Julie we certainly need more people like you to make our transition a more comfortable one :grouphug:

phoenix
Wise one
Wise one

Postby phoenix » Mon Oct 15, 2007 9:41 pm

Janine thank you for the support for this project through bcaus. I am just about to reach 100 responses from across Australia and am aiming for a few thousand! The time is ripe as ther is an Australian lingerie designer and a large chain retailer currently looking at the needs of women with clothing and bras after breast cancer. This survey is our chance to help tell them what we need and want. The experience of shopping just might return to being an enjoyable one - not one that reminds you that you are different to mainstream.

The information 200 women offerred last year when I ran a short survey was very powerful and quite moving as to what women negotiate. Admittedly (and thankfully) not every woman experiences problems after surgery but there are many, many women that do. It would be really quite powerful if a lot of women answered the survey and the results were able to wake the industry right up to our existence.

I'm a research nurse and I am really conscious of the many ways in which a removed or quite mutilated breast can impact a woman. Simple things - like not being comfortable walking around the house in pyjamas because its obvious you are lop-sided. And having nothing in the market to cater for that for you.

The survey can be saved as the women go along and it can be completed at more than one sitting.
Thanks so much for your help. If other women read this I'd like to ask that they save the website www.clothingsurvey.info to their computer and have a go at it when they get time.
Cheers everyone. I'll keep you all posted.
Julie

Janine
Founding Member
Founding Member

Clothing Survey - have your say!

Postby Janine » Mon Oct 01, 2007 7:01 pm

Julie Kesby has launched a survey about the clothing and lingerie needs of women in Australia following surgery for breast cancer.

The aim of the survey is to determine whether women experience clothing limitations after surgery - and if so what are they? Do limitations impact on women emotionally? Can something be done about this?

You are encouraged to participate whether you experience issues with clothing and lingerie limitations or not. In this way a more accurate reflection of the magnitude of any issues can be measured.

It is hoped that information gained from this survey will result in helpful responses from the clothing and lingerie industry to address the difficulties that women identify.
Some of the information you provide may also benefit other Breast Cancer agencies with their particular advocacy work or interests e.g. in lobbying the Government on issues relating to prosthesis wear.

Some of you may have responded to an earlier survey. Your input was very valuable and helped to indicate the need for this bigger and broader survey. It is hoped that you will participate again.

Julie has personal experience of breast cancer and has a professional background in nursing, health education, research and management.

Please - every voice counts.
Janine

Return to “Projects, Issues and Actions”