the LATER study-clinical trial for women who have had bc

Many people give their time in different ways to improve conditions for the breast cancer community. Here we can discuss what's happening and what needs to happen. We can also celebrate the successes, acknowledge the input and learn how we can help or become involved.
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
chrismelb
Forum Queen
Forum Queen

Re: the LATER study-clinical trial for women who have had bc

Postby chrismelb » Sat Jun 04, 2011 2:00 pm

This is very interesting to me as i am terrified of going off my AIs. It is suppressing the oestogen so doesn't it figure that if you come off it will rear its ugly head and recur?? This trail is not suitable for me as i haven't had a year off but i will look into the SOLE trial. Mind you i am on HERA trial so they mightn't let me!!
Dx 9/03 EBC
5/12 ABC bones-Herceptin,Tamox&Zometa
8/12 Liver mets-Abraxane,Herceptin&Zometa
6/13 Xeloda/Tykerb Xgeva
11/14 TDM1 Xgeva
1/15 Rads to tumour in head
2/16 Whole brain rads lepto. mets, continue TDM1
8/16. Navelbine, Herceptin
1/17 Neratanib Xeloda & Herceptin.

Crystalady
Forum Queen
Forum Queen
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby Crystalady » Sat Jun 04, 2011 1:51 pm

Kim,

I know that the thought of staying on hormonals forever is a bit daunting, but after what I've been through and given that even my mets to the bone are ER+, then I can see the logic.

However, I think that a short break in between and also changing them would be necessary. Have you had a hysterectomy? Do you still have ovaries which produce the most estrogen?

:hugs: Sandra
First diagnosed in Dec 1998. Thyroid cancer 2006. Thought I was free and clear after 10 years but no, mets in spine in Dec 2008. Femara stopped working October 2010.Was on Aromasin and zometa. Now taking Xeloda and Zometa.Xeloda not working Dec 2011. Tamoxifen started. Feb 2012 Now on Abraxane.

molly dooker
Forum Queen
Forum Queen

Postby molly dooker » Fri Jun 03, 2011 11:53 pm

No worries Kim.
All the best with the trial. :hugs: :hugs:
Chris

nickykim
Enlightened one
Enlightened one

Postby nickykim » Fri Jun 03, 2011 10:58 pm

Thanks for posting this - although I am probably not at the point that I could participate in LATER, I did follow the link and will be following up regarding the SOLE trial in April next year with my oncologist. He wants me to remain on hormone therapy for ever! PBS only covers total of five years so if I can get on the SOLE trial it would save me about $100 a month. Wrote myself a note in my diary to ask at my next onc appointment.

Kim
dx 10/07 IDC 2.8mm 9/21 nodes, ER+ PR+, Her2-, tx mastectomy + ALND, 6 TAC, 25 rads, tamoxifen 2 year, Arimidex from April 2010, Zometa x 2 p.a. for 3 yrs, DIEP 12/08, mini LD flap to fix DIEP issues,

molly dooker
Forum Queen
Forum Queen

the LATER study-clinical trial for women who have had bc

Postby molly dooker » Thu Jun 02, 2011 12:07 pm

I will quote what I read in an article in the local paper:

"In recent months, 27 women have joined a study that is trying to find out if breast cancer can be stopped from coming
back, but many more are needed.
For the LATER study, the Australian New Zealand Breast Cancer Trials Group is looking for postmenopausal women who have
previously had breast cancer and have completed their therapy.
Women who had breast cancer more than five years ago and were given tablet medication such as Tamoxifen/Femara for at least
four years may benefit from this trial.
Sir Charles Gairdner* and Royal Perth Hospitals* are providing local women the opportunity to be part of the international study.
The study is seeking 1700 women in Australia and New Zealand.
For more information call 1800 039 634 NZ: 0800 770 119 or visit www.anzbctg.org "

I didn't have hormone positive bc, so I won't be giving them a call.
The website shows a video talking about the clinical trial.

*these are Perth hospitals because it was a Perth local paper, but they are doing the trial all over Australia and NZ.
Chris

Return to “Projects, Issues and Actions”