Treatment options for Bone Mets

For those wanting to share with others living with secondary or metastatic breast cancer.
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
crebbik
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: Treatment options for Bone Mets

Postby crebbik » Fri Sep 29, 2017 11:23 am

Hi Maria,
I'm sorry to read about your friend.
I was diagnosed with breast cancer 4.5 years ago
Had a full mastectomy and lymph node clearance as One node was effected with cancer. At the time of bone scan there was something showing in my hip bone that they said they didn't believe was cancer because it wasn't acting like cancer !
My 12 month review after I pushed for a second scan they then changed their minds as it seemed to have responded to the chemo ! I also was put on tamoxifen ! My bone mets continue to grow! I now have in both hips and 4 spots in my back
I was put into arimidex as they seemed to think the tamoxifen had stopped working ! In Feb I had scans that showed it in the liver ! I'm now off Arimidex as again it's stopped working !
I have just completed 7.5 months of chemo about 4 weeks ago !
And my lasted scan it seems to have dissappeared from the Liver ???? Trying to get an answer to that seems hard ?? my oncologist says possibly it's so small it's now not showing ! So yes the chemo looks to have worked ! I have now been put on a similar drug to Arimidex but with another drug to stop my body adapting to it!
I have all my fingers and toes crossed it will work !
If my cancer markers start heading upwards again I'm back on the chemo ! Yes bone mets considrted terminal but there's so many options coming onto the market of late! I hope your friend finds one that works for her ! I wish her the best of luck

JudyB
Forum Queen
Forum Queen

Postby JudyB » Sat Jul 29, 2017 7:20 pm

That is cruel Maria, it's all cruel. I hope that her new doctor can find her treatment that works longer than 12 months and I hope your friend can say in a few years how she has long outlived what her first doctor thought.

:hugs:
DX Sep 09, LB mast with axillary diss. Grd 2 Ductal Carc. 50mm diam. Margins clear. 1/13 nodes. OR+ PR+, HER2- . FEC x 3, Taxotere x 3, RADS x 30, Tamoxifen, DIEP reconstruction April 2011, Femara 2013, Oophorectomy 2013.

MariaJ
Guru
Guru

Postby MariaJ » Fri Jul 28, 2017 10:35 pm

Thank you for the replies. She is going to see another oncologist privately to review her situation. Her current Dr has given her 12-18months. I thought bone mets could be controlled for longer than that, especially as she was stage one when diagnosed only 3 1/2 yrs ago.
It's just so cruel :crybaby:
Dx LBC Feb2013 IDC + DCIS Stage 1, Grade 2, HER2+ Wide Excision then LB Mastectomy . 12 x weekly taxol chemo, 12 months herceptin due to finish march 2014. Prophylactic RB Mastectomy Nov 2013 . Bilateral expanders Nov2013

Janette
Forum Legend

Postby Janette » Mon Jul 24, 2017 11:29 pm

Hi Maria,
I'm so sorry to hear your friend has bone mets. There are treatments available and I'm sure her Oncologist will discuss the options available. Research seems to be going ahead with leaps and bounds so don't give up hope. :hugs:
Janette

The new girl
Forum Queen
Forum Queen

Postby The new girl » Mon Jul 24, 2017 10:34 pm

:wave: hi maria,so sorry to hear about your friend,so angry that the doctor did not follow up given her history he should have Done more tests because of her history:grr: sorry I cannot answer your question,wishing your friend all the best.
Rosa

MariaJ
Guru
Guru

Treatment options for Bone Mets

Postby MariaJ » Sun Jul 23, 2017 10:57 pm

Hi everyone,
A dear friend of mine was diagnosed with EBC the same year as me (2013)
She had a mastectomy, chemo, rads, and tamoxifen, all in the public system.
We both have 12yr old daughters.

Last year Her GP overlooked back pain for months and just prescribed pain killers!!! WTF?
There was also no follow up from the hospital for well over 12 months.
Needing more pain relief, a different GP said - it's time you had a scan and found multiple bone mets. :ouch: :ouch: :ouch: :crybaby: :crybaby: :mad: :mad:

She is ER+ and premenopausal
Her first round of chemo (since stage 4) failed, so they are trying another type.
2 more rounds of rads have been very hard going and they can't tell if it has worked.
They consider the tamoxifen to have failed because she developed mets, so she is off that now.
No trials have been offered, and she feels like they have given up on her.

Does anyone know how many viable chemo options there are? Or anything else worth considering?
(My cancer was HER2 + so I don't know much about the ER+ side of things.
Dx LBC Feb2013 IDC + DCIS Stage 1, Grade 2, HER2+ Wide Excision then LB Mastectomy . 12 x weekly taxol chemo, 12 months herceptin due to finish march 2014. Prophylactic RB Mastectomy Nov 2013 . Bilateral expanders Nov2013

Return to “Secondary Breast Cancer”