Hip replacement

For those wanting to share with others living with secondary or metastatic breast cancer.
Janette
Forum Legend

Re: Hip replacement

Postby Janette » Thu Sep 25, 2014 12:13 pm

Jane,
Gail was unfortunately nearing the end of her battle. I hope you are no where near that stage. We can't influence your decision but a talk to the Onc and BC Nurse might shine some light on the situation and the chance of a trouble free holiday. The good thing about a cruise is you can usually relax if you want to or rage if you are so inclined and there should be a Doctor on board, worth checking.

One thing is for sure, that you and DH deserve to go and have the time of your lives. :hugs:
Janette

ruth1
Forum Queen
Forum Queen
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby ruth1 » Thu Sep 25, 2014 10:18 am

Jane, you are doing incredibly well being at work and taking over with thee boss away. You inspire me. I am a bit dark today and I read you and think to myself- step up and get on with it.

This trip I think is such a concern and I don't know how you can make a decision here. I think you need to look at what costs would be involved if you require medical help. Ending up in a Chinese hospital or having to have a medivac to Hong Kong or something would be far more than what you would lose in cancellation. Is there someone else that could do the trip with your husband? I know that is far from ideal and he wouldn't like you not being with him. Can the Onc not give you more of an idea of what is likely with health issues in that time? The other alternative is knowing what ports you are visiting and what flights could assist at short notice. I think airlines usually keep a couple of seats free for emergency reasons so perhaps you could go with a plan if you fell ill.
Dx IDC 2cm grade 3 ER/PR pos. DCIS grade 3, fam hist metastatic BC. Bi lat mastectomy, FEC x 4, surgical revision pending. AI x 5 yrs Femara

INTHEPINK
Your Maj
Your Maj
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby INTHEPINK » Thu Sep 25, 2014 9:41 am

Hi All You Lovely Ladies,
Thanks for all your posts. :hugs: I am at work this week and can't take time off 'cause my boss has gone away. I'm just trying to keep going till the end of the week then re-assess? I feel so tired and am really off any dairy products. My DH went into hospital yesterday to have an op on his arm which he has been waiting ages for so it was good that he got it done, however, there is now not much energy between the two of us. I am trying hard to help because he is always such a help to me and has been sooooo patient, just wish I had more in me.
Christine...I'm not sure what you mean by liver makers? I know my onc said that my LFT was only a little "off", is that what you mean. Sometimes I feel dumb for not asking the right questions. Yvonne...what dose of Xeloda are you on?
I do know that the onc said that the cancer was no longer responding to hormone therapy. :(
As far as the holiday is concerned...its a really hard one. My DH is still anxious to go and thinks it is more important now than ever. I would love to go but don't want to end up a burden or costing heaps of money in medical bills. Also, it;s a trip we have saved for and paid for already.....Of course the insurance won't cover pre existing illness. :roll:
Jane.
“What day is it?" It's today," squeaked Piglet. My favourite day," said Pooh.”

winterlong
Superstar
Superstar

Postby winterlong » Wed Sep 24, 2014 12:19 am

Hi Jane,
I just read all the posts here.
I'm so sorry you have been going thru all this.
:hugs:
I hope you get your treatments stable, and ood pain relief, so you can travel as planned.
:heart:

wendy

Tracey Gibney
Forum Queen
Forum Queen

Postby Tracey Gibney » Tue Sep 23, 2014 10:33 pm

Yvonne stable is good. I hope you are well enough to go on your cruise.
Tracey xxx
EBC 94 aged 34. Mastectomy CMF, tamoxifen. Mets 07 brachial plexus, supra clavicular node, sternum. Treated with AI's Rads x3 Ooph 09. 2014 met to chest wall,surg, rads. 12/14 Multiple bone mets, rt axillary nodes further recurrence chest wall. Failed on Faslodex. 8/15 Ibrance

chrismelb
Forum Queen
Forum Queen

Postby chrismelb » Tue Sep 23, 2014 10:01 pm

Firstly great news Yvonne.
Jane, i would be scared to go in your situation but that is me and i am scared to do lots of lesser things. Also Gail was very sick by the time she went and really shouldn't have gone. I have had a very healthy 2 years with liver/bone mets and one of them was on Xeloda which i have basically found a very easy drug to tolerate and so good not going to hospital for IV. In saying that a lot of others haven't found it so good or kind. Oral chemo allows travel very easily. How are your liver markers? Mine have been great and got under control well with Tykerb/Xeloda. I am HER-2 so in a different boat.
Good luck with your decisions and i would get your onc to help you decide also xo
Dx 9/03 EBC
5/12 ABC bones-Herceptin,Tamox&Zometa
8/12 Liver mets-Abraxane,Herceptin&Zometa
6/13 Xeloda/Tykerb Xgeva
11/14 TDM1 Xgeva
1/15 Rads to tumour in head
2/16 Whole brain rads lepto. mets, continue TDM1
8/16. Navelbine, Herceptin
1/17 Neratanib Xeloda & Herceptin.

ruth1
Forum Queen
Forum Queen

Postby ruth1 » Tue Sep 23, 2014 7:51 pm

great news Yvonne - you are a wonder!! :clap:
Dx IDC 2cm grade 3 ER/PR pos. DCIS grade 3, fam hist metastatic BC. Bi lat mastectomy, FEC x 4, surgical revision pending. AI x 5 yrs Femara

Yvonne
Hot-shot
Hot-shot

Postby Yvonne » Tue Sep 23, 2014 6:11 pm

I've had lung mets for 7 years, and liver mets arrived (many) this year (also mets in lots of other places). No symptoms from the liver mets - I still drink wine and my liver function is always normal.
When the liver mets were dx I also had Afinitor added to the Aromasin I was on, and had a lot of issues on 10mg and had it reduced to 5mg, which was manageable, but after 6 months I had further progression and so came off the AA combo. I've been on Xeloda for 3 months and last week's scans show some reduction in size of lungs mets, and liver mets stable (Yeah!). I'm going to stay on Xeloda until it becomes clear it's not working, then will move to Taxotere.
Onc says I still have lots of options and she expects me to still be around in a couple of years. That's enough for me.

Yvonne
1999 Chemo, Radio, Mastectomy & Reconstruction. Oct 2008 Mets to lungs, liver, spine, adrenal glands, spleen. 6 cycles docetaxol. Now on Femara and Zometa. April 2009 - decided the liver mets weren't mets!! Changed from Femara to Tamoxifen after suspected progression. Feb 2012 now on Aromasin.

ruth1
Forum Queen
Forum Queen

Postby ruth1 » Tue Sep 23, 2014 6:05 pm

Jane, I am soooo sorry to hear this and to know what a difficult time you are having trying to manage. I cant give you any personal experience except to say that my Mum attempted a trip with advanced illness and it was not a great success at all. In fact it was more like an ordeal. I really think you need to be careful especially with a long trip too. Falling ill in overseas territory isn't a good idea either. Its so hard when you have something wonderful planned but the question is - is it better to have some quality time at home that you can enjoy rather than trying to get through something and finding that you cant. Having said that though - its a personal choice too - it might be such an amazing trip that you would take he gamble and just go. Throw caution to the wind and keep your fingers crossed. I do think that the medical side of things needs to be looked into to see what wuld happen if you had a fall like Gail did or became very ill.

I do hope that you can find a good answer to this and be happy with the decision if it means you cant go.

Sending you a huge hug. :hugs:

The new girl
Forum Queen
Forum Queen

Postby The new girl » Tue Sep 23, 2014 4:51 pm

:hugs: that news sucks jane,did you ask your oncologist if he thought it was ok to go to the cruise? I wish you can go and have a great time. I hoe you have lots of support around you :hugs: ....Rosa

Janette
Forum Legend

Postby Janette » Tue Sep 23, 2014 4:31 pm

Hi Jane,
I wish you got better news. I hope you get some answers about the Xeloda. There is lots of information throughout the forum on Xeloda. Link below to a search. :hugs:

search.php?keywords=xeloda&terms=all&author=&fid%5B%5D=10&sc=1&sf=all&sk=t&sd=d&sr=posts&st=0&ch=300&t=0&submit=Search
Janette

INTHEPINK
Your Maj
Your Maj

Postby INTHEPINK » Tue Sep 23, 2014 1:03 pm

OK, so I finished the rads on my new hip :) But got results of CT yesterday. All the bone mets seem the same but my liver looks like swiss cheese. :sniff: I asked my onc what all the dark patches were and she explained they were holes from the cancer eating into my liver. I counted about 7 or 8 before she swapped screens!!! She immediately put me on 2000mg of Xeloda twice a day. On top of that I was so anaemic that I had to have a blood transfusion too (but at least it helped my energy levels).
Dropped the bombshell on my DH last night. He is off the the hospital for day surgery tomorrow so all bad timing (is it ever good timing?).. Still have to tell my son.
We have a cruise booked to China in October and now I don't know what to do? I remember Gail's experience and don't want that to happen but I also really want to go. :-?
Any one else been done this path with Xeloda and liver mets? Any life experience and advice would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks - Jane.
Jane.
“What day is it?" It's today," squeaked Piglet. My favourite day," said Pooh.”

Janette
Forum Legend

Postby Janette » Wed Sep 03, 2014 5:42 pm

Thanks for posting Lynne. :hugs:
Janette

hotlyn
Guru
Guru

Postby hotlyn » Wed Sep 03, 2014 5:37 pm

Hi, I'm one of those "lurkers" I read posts every day but rarely write. Just wanted to say when I had chemo in 2012 I started falling all the time. Ending up with broken nose, black eyes, ambulance to hospital the full works. It was a terrible time for us. Had heaps of tests, cat scans, X-rays , MRI,s finally told me that chemo had killed my knee bone , hole was the size of a golf ball and had to have a knee replacement the week after chemo finished. Not a great year! Cried all day after hearing that bit of news. Had already had a knee replacement in other knee just before I was dx with BC , so I knew what I was in for.
Oncologist said it was a not uncommon side effect usually in hip though
Just thought I would pass that on
Lynne

The new girl
Forum Queen
Forum Queen

Postby The new girl » Wed Sep 03, 2014 5:23 pm

:hugs: sorry to hear you are haveing such a tough time jane,hope you feel better soon....Rosa

Return to “Secondary Breast Cancer”