Hip replacement

For those wanting to share with others living with secondary or metastatic breast cancer.
Janette
Forum Legend

Re: Hip replacement

Postby Janette » Wed Sep 03, 2014 12:50 pm

Jane,
Gail took Afinitor so her posts may give an indication of how it affected her. I'm sure there are others with experience will post when they see your request.

I also feel sorry for the medicos at times, they're human, but good that your Doc acknowledged what you've been through. I hope the side effects settle quickly. :hugs:
Janette

ruth1
Forum Queen
Forum Queen
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby ruth1 » Wed Sep 03, 2014 11:08 am

Jane, sorry to hear that feeling rotten everyday is now added to the list. It makes it very hard to stay on top when you feel so sick.

It still seems remiss on the part of the medicos to miss this - I would have thought with your history, that they would have used a CT scan to begin with if that's what is required to see inside bone - especially with the degree of pain you were experiencing. An example of going the cheaper option perhaps - that's just me surmising. Can you consider a whole body CT for peace of mind? Mind you, doing that would be very stressful waiting for results.

Sounds like the Afinitor could well be responsible for fatigue etc. I haven't had it so cant speak but others will be able to tell you. Fingers crossed that the rads work well and the drugs too. :hugs:
Dx IDC 2cm grade 3 ER/PR pos. DCIS grade 3, fam hist metastatic BC. Bi lat mastectomy, FEC x 4, surgical revision pending. AI x 5 yrs Femara

horselover
Hot-shot
Hot-shot

Postby horselover » Wed Sep 03, 2014 10:38 am

Hi There Inthepink, That all absolutely sucks- I really hope you can find a middle ground where the meds don't make you feel so awful, but can prolong your bone condition as long as possible- I am thinking of you and hope it is only the flu and not the sidies. :hugs: :hugs: :hugs: :rose: :rose: :rose:
sing like no one can hear you
dance like no one is watching

with love from Sam

INTHEPINK
Your Maj
Your Maj
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby INTHEPINK » Wed Sep 03, 2014 9:48 am

Hi Everyone,
Thanks for your input and kindness. I thought I would just give you an update. I went to see my onc and she seemed genuinely shocked that it was the cancer that broke my hip, especially since my recent bone scan showed no activity there. I do feel a bit sorry for these docs because they have so much on their plate but was also kinda pleased that she was shocked as I needed some sort of acknowledgement of the pain I had been through.
They are going to do rads to that hip just to mop up anything the surgeon missed. Then they are also going to do a full CT. She explained that the bone scan picks up activity around the bone and shows "hot spots", however if the activity is within the bone the scan may not pick it up but a CT will. Now I am a bit concerned as to what else may have been missed?
Anyway, the histology shows that the Aromasin is not working any more so they have added Everolimus (Afinitor) 10mg to my list of drugs. I would love to hear from others that are on this drug 'cause so far I feel pretty ill. I have a dry throat but lots of mucus, a headache, my voice is hoarse and I am so tired. I am not sure weather to put down to the new drug or to just a feeling like I'm going to get the flu? It just seems odd that the two things co-inside though?
I just want to feel well (ish) again and feel like I haven't been for ages...the whole ordeal is taking it's toll.
Your experience and advice would be appreciated.
Jane.
Jane.
“What day is it?" It's today," squeaked Piglet. My favourite day," said Pooh.”

Princess79
Guru
Guru

Postby Princess79 » Tue Aug 26, 2014 2:27 am

I'm sorry the docs didn't pick it up. I'm glad you are back at work and your
Hip is healing :)
DX 31/03/14 35yrs LABC 11.5cmx 10.5cm stage 3 grade 2 Neoadjunctive chemo ETNA Trial Abraxane & EC.

chrismelb
Forum Queen
Forum Queen

Postby chrismelb » Thu Aug 21, 2014 12:03 am

That is terrible they missed it Jane. I I know that sometimes it is hard to read a scan but in light of you or problem it should have rung a few warning bells??
I admire u so much working full time and I certainly couldn't do it. Any chance of PT work? That would still bring In some money.
Have a great holiday xo
Dx 9/03 EBC
5/12 ABC bones-Herceptin,Tamox&Zometa
8/12 Liver mets-Abraxane,Herceptin&Zometa
6/13 Xeloda/Tykerb Xgeva
11/14 TDM1 Xgeva
1/15 Rads to tumour in head
2/16 Whole brain rads lepto. mets, continue TDM1
8/16. Navelbine, Herceptin
1/17 Neratanib Xeloda & Herceptin.

The new girl
Forum Queen
Forum Queen

Postby The new girl » Wed Aug 20, 2014 8:27 pm

:hugs: :hugs: Jane,sending you hugs....Rosa

ruth1
Forum Queen
Forum Queen

Postby ruth1 » Wed Aug 20, 2014 4:22 pm

I think you definitely need that holiday after all of this!!!! Airport security will go crazy when you go through now with your metal collection!!!

I must say that I admire your strength to keep up with work and everyday living with so much to deal with. You are a true inspiration Jane. Having said that, - as you point out, its a matter of necessity financially to keep it all going.

That holiday better be a damn good one as you deserve it well and truly. :hugs:
Dx IDC 2cm grade 3 ER/PR pos. DCIS grade 3, fam hist metastatic BC. Bi lat mastectomy, FEC x 4, surgical revision pending. AI x 5 yrs Femara

INTHEPINK
Your Maj
Your Maj

Postby INTHEPINK » Wed Aug 20, 2014 3:26 pm

Thanks Ruth, I am assuming nothing much will change. I am already on Zometa etc...for the other bone mets and the onc had said they were reserving my 3rd round of chemo for when it hits my organs. They may do radium? They did that to the other hip which was pinned 3 years ago, to avoid this exact problem occurring! (Last time, when I told the radiographer that I had had 55 treatments of radium since first diagnosed he said I needed to get a hobby. :wink: )
I'm not giving up my holiday...in fact it now seems more important to go? I figure I'm now steel reinforced on both sides!
I went back to work on Monday but have to rely on lifts as I still can't drive. I don't know how to manage without working from a mental and financial point of view. I wish I could figure it all out, there doesn't seem to be much help out there for people like us. The wheel of life just keeps turning hey!
Jane.

ruth1
Forum Queen
Forum Queen

Postby ruth1 » Wed Aug 20, 2014 1:51 pm

ohhh Jane I am so terribly sorry to hear this - you must be devastated. You do have to wonder how on earth this could be missed. What now for you work wise, treatment wise and that long anticipated holiday you really need? :hugs:

INTHEPINK
Your Maj
Your Maj

Postby INTHEPINK » Wed Aug 20, 2014 1:10 pm

Just come back from my Ortho review. The histology results were back and show that the bone broke because of mets. :x I can't understand how they missed it on the scans? I must say that my faith in the health system is beginning to diminish. I always thought I was in good hands and could trust the docs. I understand that we are all human and make mistakes but I still think I was not taken very seriously when I was in so much pain and the bone was already broken! I'm feeling a little deflated and that their care is just an illusion....is it just a job to them?
Jane.
Jane.

Janette
Forum Legend

Postby Janette » Sat Aug 16, 2014 12:30 am

Your fustration with having to take leave is understandable. Do be careful as Princess advises. :hugs:
Janette

Princess79
Guru
Guru

Postby Princess79 » Fri Aug 15, 2014 7:54 pm

Hi, glad your first week went well. The main issue you will face is that you cannot bend past 90% at the hip or else it can dislocate or crack the new cement . Also no crossing your operated leg over the other too. I know exactly how you feel with the frustration but if you do more damage by trying to rush back, you won't be back at work for longer and you will prob miss your holiday too. Use your wedge wherever you go and def use toilet chair and car/wheelchair if using too as it stops hip going past that 90%. Better to be bored and heal properly than to be inpatient and have to have it redone ;) xxxxxx mwah :heart:
DX 31/03/14 35yrs LABC 11.5cmx 10.5cm stage 3 grade 2 Neoadjunctive chemo ETNA Trial Abraxane & EC.

INTHEPINK
Your Maj
Your Maj

Postby INTHEPINK » Fri Aug 15, 2014 11:54 am

Thank you so much everybody. I have been home a week now and am better but inpatient to recover fast. Princess, it's good to hear from some one who has been there. I have an almost full time job and am not sure when to go back to work. I feel guilty about staying at home because my boss is now in the poo without the help and he is good to me. I also have a holiday booked & paid for in October and feel I can't take loads of sick leave and go away. I will go mad if I stay home too long but I have a special toilet seat at home and am not sure if it's OK to do without it at work?
Jane.

Angela
wasn't born yesterday
wasn't born yesterday

Postby Angela » Sat Aug 09, 2014 9:36 am

Gosh Princess you have been through a lot :ouch: I'm thinking of you and hope treatment is going well :wave: :hugs:
Dx April 2001 Grade 2 DCI. L lumpectomy. All 33 nodes removed clear
6/52 radiotherapy June 2001.Tamoxifen for 6 years.
Yearly mammograms always clear.
Dx January 2013 extensive bone mets, lung mets and metastatic pleural infusion.
On Arimidex and Xgeva.

Return to “Secondary Breast Cancer”