My Mum

For those wanting to share with others living with secondary or metastatic breast cancer.
Mish
Your Maj
Your Maj
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: My Mum

Postby Mish » Sun Feb 17, 2013 3:43 pm

Thanks Ruth, really appreciate your support, we are all trying to be as prepared as we can but everyone is different in how they deal with chemo emotionally and physically. I dont know what my sister and I would have done without this forum. :hugs: Mish

ruth1
Forum Queen
Forum Queen
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby ruth1 » Sat Feb 16, 2013 2:47 pm

yes Mish it sucks big time!!!! I found chemo very hard and losing my hair very demoralising. I bought an expensive wig and used it twice only, as it was irritating and itchy. I wore scarfs and turban hats from the wig shop made with breathable material and they were great, Having dentistry checked prior is a very good idea. Apart from that not much else you can do except be there and you certainly are.

I found when my Mum went through this there were occasions when she was quite difficult which was out of character so it seemed even worse. She was a bit irrational at times too as anyone would be with this. This all added to the difficulty of caring for her. Only saying this to alert you that there might be some emotional issues down the track and its better to be forearmed. Its a very hard thing to do caring for a very close relative who is so ill. As I said before call on anyone that offers help as it will make it easier. I had friends on a kind of roster even just to come over and vac the house or do some shopping. It all helped. Keep in touch. Hugs. R
Dx IDC 2cm grade 3 ER/PR pos. DCIS grade 3, fam hist metastatic BC. Bi lat mastectomy, FEC x 4, surgical revision pending. AI x 5 yrs Femara

Janette
Forum Legend

Postby Janette » Sat Feb 16, 2013 1:38 pm

Mish,
It does suck. Mum is lucky to have so much support though. There are often more than one chemo option and if one doesn't work they will often try another. Good luck with the AC. :hugs:
Janette

Mish
Your Maj
Your Maj

Postby Mish » Sat Feb 16, 2013 12:05 pm

The Onc is giving Mum AC Chemo - she starts next Monday 6 treatments. They are doing a heart test first as one of the drugs can affect the heart. We are all currently in organization mode, making sure Mum sees the dentist before hand, getting wigs, bandana's. My sister and I are organizing her Chemo kit so she has everthing she needs, thank you for the chemo forum that I read through giving all the hints and tips while going through Chemo.

Mum is seeing her Onc Monday monring and wants to ask him what happens if the Chemo doesnt work, I said I dont want to know, just want to get you through the Chemo first and at this point just dealing with the here and now is all I can manage. I suppose Mum is thinking longterm and getting things in order for just in case.

So all a bit emotional at the moment, but still discussing, organizing and giving Mum as much support as she needs.

By the way, this disease sucks!!

Mish

Gail
Forum Legend

Postby Gail » Sat Feb 16, 2013 10:28 am

Mish, not the news we wanted to hear :hugs: I hope the onc can come up with a chemo that will stop it ASAP.
"You Gotta Laugh!"

Gail

Diagnosed April 2006,Lumpectomy,17 of 25 nodes positive, chemo, radiation. Finished treatment March 07
Diagnosed July 2012 cancer of mediastinal(nodes around lungs and heart)pelvis and spine. Up for the fight!

ruth1
Forum Queen
Forum Queen

Postby ruth1 » Fri Feb 15, 2013 8:47 am

Mish that is awful awful news for all concerned. All you can do is now hope that the chemo will slow it down and that your Mum doesnt get too ill from it. I remember when my mother reached this point how scary it was. Get as much help as you can from all sources to try and make daily chores easier. Big hugs to you. Ruth
Dx IDC 2cm grade 3 ER/PR pos. DCIS grade 3, fam hist metastatic BC. Bi lat mastectomy, FEC x 4, surgical revision pending. AI x 5 yrs Femara

Janette
Forum Legend

Postby Janette » Thu Feb 14, 2013 11:50 pm

Mish,
I'm sorry to hear of the progression. I hope chemo will work well for your Mum. :hugs:
Janette

Mish
Your Maj
Your Maj

Postby Mish » Thu Feb 14, 2013 10:23 pm

Well not the news we wanted. Mums BC has progressed again. Further bone mets skull, hip, shoulder, spine, arm, pelvis and also now in her liver. Onc has booked her in for chemo next week, The hormones have stopped working. The rollercoaster continues. Feeling very emotional, Mum is in shock she knew she may have new mets in her shoulder but for it to spread so quickly (3 months) is just a bit too much to grasp. :crybaby: Mish

Kazzie61
Hot-shot
Hot-shot

Postby Kazzie61 » Wed Feb 13, 2013 5:32 pm

You're an inspiration Chrissy :hugs:

:grouphug:

Karen :heart:
Dx 5/10/10, Stage 1, Grade 3, Triple Negative.
Lumpectomy, Node Negative, 6 x TC Chemo, BMX with immediate DIEP 20/05/11
Dx stage 4, bone mets 20/05/12, liver mets 07/02/13
Radiation June 2012
Monthly Xgeva June 2012
Chemo...Paclitaxel/Gemzar December 2012
Chemo...Xeloda Feb 2013

Chrissy
Enlightened one
Enlightened one

Postby Chrissy » Wed Feb 13, 2013 5:25 pm

Hi Mish
Just to say sorry about your Mum and her mets but wanted to say that life is 'do-able' even with mets thru out the body
A bit of positive thinking and bloody mindedness helps!!!
I was dx with ebc 17 years ago and with mets thru out my body for the last 7 years
It does get me down but I refuse to give up! :grouphug: Chrissy Kik

Mish
Your Maj
Your Maj

Postby Mish » Mon Feb 11, 2013 11:23 pm

Thank you for all your kind words - one day at a time how true, and yes BC does suck. Major big time. However, I will say it has brought our family closer together, we communicate more and appreciate the good times so much more than before. Mum has already given me the be prepared for the worst speach. I said oh well at least we wont be blind sided like last time, if its bad news we will have a good cry and then go and find the biggest cheesecake we can find!!

Kazzie61
Hot-shot
Hot-shot

Postby Kazzie61 » Sun Feb 10, 2013 10:49 pm

Hi Mish.....all you can do is be there & love & support your mum :hugs:
She is very lucky to have such a loving & caring daughter......this horrible disease sucks :grr:
Pleas also take care of you & I hope you get good news....

:grouphug:

Karen x
Dx 5/10/10, Stage 1, Grade 3, Triple Negative.
Lumpectomy, Node Negative, 6 x TC Chemo, BMX with immediate DIEP 20/05/11
Dx stage 4, bone mets 20/05/12, liver mets 07/02/13
Radiation June 2012
Monthly Xgeva June 2012
Chemo...Paclitaxel/Gemzar December 2012
Chemo...Xeloda Feb 2013

Gail
Forum Legend

Postby Gail » Sat Feb 09, 2013 12:41 pm

Mish, I so hope her mets have not progressed :hugs:
"You Gotta Laugh!"

Gail

Diagnosed April 2006,Lumpectomy,17 of 25 nodes positive, chemo, radiation. Finished treatment March 07
Diagnosed July 2012 cancer of mediastinal(nodes around lungs and heart)pelvis and spine. Up for the fight!

ruth1
Forum Queen
Forum Queen

Postby ruth1 » Sat Feb 09, 2013 8:32 am

Hi Mish, I was thinking of you recently and wondering how things are. I sooo hope its all ok next week. All you can do is be there as you are and you cant say anything to make it better. We all live with that awful feeling lurking about what the future holds and its sooo much worse for people who have mets. The stress of that filters down to family and friends as well. One day at a time I think. Easy for me to say but there really isnt any other way to deal with this. All the best for next week. Ruth

schoolteacher
Forum Queen
Forum Queen

Postby schoolteacher » Fri Feb 08, 2013 8:43 pm

:hugs: hoping the results are better than mum thinks when she sees the onc next week. Tough times for you all :hugs:

Return to “Secondary Breast Cancer”