My Mum

For those wanting to share with others living with secondary or metastatic breast cancer.
Kazzie61
Hot-shot
Hot-shot
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: My Mum

Postby Kazzie61 » Wed Dec 05, 2012 9:03 pm

Mish....your mum is lucky to have a daughter like you :hugs:
Just being there for her is the best ting you can do :rose:
Take care...

:grouphug:

Karen x
Dx 5/10/10, Stage 1, Grade 3, Triple Negative.
Lumpectomy, Node Negative, 6 x TC Chemo, BMX with immediate DIEP 20/05/11
Dx stage 4, bone mets 20/05/12, liver mets 07/02/13
Radiation June 2012
Monthly Xgeva June 2012
Chemo...Paclitaxel/Gemzar December 2012
Chemo...Xeloda Feb 2013

Mish
Your Maj
Your Maj
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby Mish » Wed Dec 05, 2012 8:40 pm

Thanks Tracey will do, my sister said she hasnt looked at Mum's back for a couple of days so will check tonight.

Thank you Liv and Rosa for your kind words. Mum has been a constant support in my life I wouldnt have been able to work fulltime with two children if it wasnt for her-she always looked after them at very short notice even when they were sick, so I suppose it is my turn now to support her through her BC journey.

We will look forward to Christmas and treasure our family time with everyone and then ride the rollercoaster again when Mum has her onc appt in January We call him Dr Gorgeous as he is quite good looking Mum likes a bit of eye candy and he is very kind and gentle in his approach with Mum.

:wave: Mish

Tracey Gibney
Forum Queen
Forum Queen

Postby Tracey Gibney » Wed Dec 05, 2012 9:04 am

Mish even though your rad onc has said your mum will feel better by Monday let her know that her skin can still react in the week after rads finish and she can still feel very tired. Tracey
EBC 94 aged 34. Mastectomy CMF, tamoxifen. Mets 07 brachial plexus, supra clavicular node, sternum. Treated with AI's Rads x3 Ooph 09. 2014 met to chest wall,surg, rads. 12/14 Multiple bone mets, rt axillary nodes further recurrence chest wall. Failed on Faslodex. 8/15 Ibrance

The new girl
Forum Queen
Forum Queen

Postby The new girl » Wed Dec 05, 2012 7:35 am

:wave: hi mish,yes this disease is the Pitts with so many people affected,I know it must be so hard for you to watch on as mum goes through this ordeal,be strong and keep close to mum that's ll you can do :heart: ...Rosa

liv

Postby liv » Wed Dec 05, 2012 2:45 am

Janette
Forum Legend

Postby Janette » Tue Dec 04, 2012 10:22 pm

Mish,
BC is a lousy disease for sure, but there are so many treatments and a lot of research going on with lots of funding.

We all have to hope for better treatments to keep improving things for your Mum and our members particularly with secondaries. :hugs:
Janette

Mish
Your Maj
Your Maj

Postby Mish » Tue Dec 04, 2012 9:43 pm

Rad onc appt went well, he actually offered her a discount on the rads, if she wanted to have last treatment today she could. She decided to go until Friday take the extra treatments and hit it the nail on head so to speak. He said she should start to feel "normal" again about Sunday or Monday. Says she is going back to work on Tuesday. Can't keep a good woman down!!

This disease is so insideous I have a true hate for it, however the courage and strength I have seen in my mother and read in the posts on this forum give me hope :)

Thanks for the support Mish

Janette
Forum Legend

Postby Janette » Sun Dec 02, 2012 10:30 pm

Mish,
It's wise to mention the side effects, even the small ones. I hope Mum's visit with the Rad's Onc goes well. :hugs:
Janette

Mish
Your Maj
Your Maj

Postby Mish » Sun Dec 02, 2012 10:20 pm

Thanks Jan for the tip on ginger ale and orange juice, I did tell Mum about the ginger tea, she hates the taste of ginger so the suggestion didn't go down too well, but maybe the ginger ale may work.

This is Mum's third treatment of radiation, first when she was initially diagnosed about 8 years ago she got very tired but seemed to handle it well. The secomd session she sailed through (two years ago when bone mets first dx) she had some diarrehae but said she didnt mind cause she lost about 4 kg!! I think this time cause they are radiating her lower back (she now has bone mets L1,2 & 4) the radiologist said it may effect her stomach - how right he is!!

She is seeing the Rad Onc on Tuesday with my sister so I will def get sis to mention the side effects she is currently having.

Thank you everyone for taking the time to offer support to myself and indirectly Mum :heart: :heart:

Mish

jayem
Forum Queen
Forum Queen

Postby jayem » Sun Dec 02, 2012 6:23 pm

Mish, sometimes water is very hard to tolerate when you are feeling unwell and nausea is your constant companion. I found that sipping a mixture of dry ginger ale and orange juice was much kinder on my stomach during chemo. I can't say I experienced any nausea during rads but the tiredness may be contributing.

Some people find a daily walk very therapeutic although I know of others who are just too exhausted. The important thing for your Mum is to do what she needs to do not what she feels she has to do.

Best wishes to her and all your family as you try to be supportive.
Jan

Dx 20 Sept 2006, 2 cm IDC + DCIS, 1/16+ node, ER+, PR+, HER2-, 4 AC, 4 Taxol, 33 rads
CFEM Trial 5 years Arimidex, 5 year SOLE trial Femara
Dx Aug 2016 neuroendocrine cancer in pancreas, mets to liver, abdominal nodes, hip, skull, scalp and breast.

jezza
Forum Queen
Forum Queen

Postby jezza » Sun Dec 02, 2012 12:04 pm

Good advice Lucinda...especially about telling her medical team about how bad she is feeling. Your mum sounds like the sort of person to put on a brave face so make sure all her side effects are explained to her Dr so she can get whatever help is available.

Tough time for her and all the family at the moment.

jezza xxx
Dx Jan. 1992 9mm Grade 3 IDC node neg. LB mast. Prophylactic RB mast. 6 months later. No chemo. No rads. Saline implants. 22 years NED. (No Evidence of Disease)

Lucinda
Been there, done that
Been there, done that

Postby Lucinda » Sat Dec 01, 2012 9:09 pm

Mish, I'm sending best wishes to you and your Mum. How fortunate she is to have you as such a caring daughter. It's a difficult time for you all.
Yes, it's important to drink the water as you suggested. I found ginger tea and eating ginger helpful for nausea. Also keeping the oncologist informed as to how bad the nausea is means they can change or increase the medication. I hope she is getting lots of rest. :hugs:

Mish
Your Maj
Your Maj

My Mum

Postby Mish » Sat Dec 01, 2012 8:58 pm

Thanks Ruth1 its all a work in progress really isnt it. Day by day. Sorry to hear you are now battling this terrible disease. :hugs:

Mum is on day 5 of RT, she is not doing well. Says she is feeling very average, very tired. She is staying at my sisters place while she is have RT as we live in a rural area so Dad has gone down to spend the weekend with her and said he was a bit shocked to see how terrible she looks, very pale. Any suggestions? Mum said she is drinking peppermint tea to help with the nausea and the tabs the onc gave are helping. I suggested she drink more water. Mish

ruth1
Forum Queen
Forum Queen

Postby ruth1 » Sat Dec 01, 2012 7:18 pm

Mish a sense of humour throughout the indignities of this disease is essential I think. Keep it up. I did this ordeal with my Mum many years ago. One regret that I have is that we never discussed it really not even when we knew she was leaving us. It was just the way things were then I think. Now that I have the dreaded bc I want to talk to family and friends and have that real support. Some people dont want to talk and I respect their choice too. I really hope you can get past the communication barrier. Good to see you giving your Mum sooo much.
Dx IDC 2cm grade 3 ER/PR pos. DCIS grade 3, fam hist metastatic BC. Bi lat mastectomy, FEC x 4, surgical revision pending. AI x 5 yrs Femara

Mish
Your Maj
Your Maj

Postby Mish » Sat Dec 01, 2012 6:54 pm

Gail this rollercoaster is definitely the hang on kind!!

Janette I think you are right that she is trying to protect us. We talk but dont really get into the nitty gritty as I think we dont want to upset each other. But I must say we do laugh, not that we dont treat BC seriously but we do try to see the funny side of things. Mum is doing RT at the moment and she is having some nausea, actually threw up after her first treatment, which suprised us because she has had rads twice before with hardly any side effects. The onc prescribed anti nausea meds which have helped. However when she went to the chemist to get them he warned her that although they ease the nausea and stop her from vomitting they may make her constipated, she looked at him and said "Thats great cause I also have diarrhae, two for the price of one!!" Got to love her sense of humour! :wink: Mish

Return to “Secondary Breast Cancer”