Review: First-Line Treatment Options for Patients with HER-2–Negative Metastatic Breast Cancer

For those wanting to share with others living with secondary or metastatic breast cancer.
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
ozzie
Forum Queen
Forum Queen
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby ozzie » Tue Aug 07, 2007 12:18 am

Just read the article in full and it didnt sound to hopeful to me..gives just 26% survival to 5yrs with metc bc...and scared the living daylights out of me ...I am HER2 _ ...but ER and PR + ...I guess I live in hope that the Arimidex keeps working for ever ! Bonefos kinda helped stoped the pain but then I got to the stage I couldnt walk so we have stoped it now for nearly two weeks so far so good...but guess I need something for the bone mets?
cheers..
Some Days are Diamonds ,Some Days are Stone.

DCIS,IDC,Grade 3 Stage3, ER/PR + HER2- (Aug 96) Bone ,Skin mets, (Dec06) lung mets (May 08)stage 4

Janine
Founding Member
Founding Member

Review: First-Line Treatment Options for Patients with HER-2–Negative Metastatic Breast Cancer

Postby Janine » Sat Aug 04, 2007 2:07 pm

I thought this article from "The Oncologist" might be of interest. I haven't read the full thing yet.

The abstract is . Links to full text, either html or pdf are on the right.

First-Line Treatment Options for Patients with HER-2–Negative Metastatic Breast Cancer: The Impact of Modern Adjuvant Chemotherapy
The Oncologist, Vol. 12, No. 7, 785-797, July 2007

ABSTRACT
The management of early breast cancer has evolved rapidly in recent years. Consequently, the range of first-line treatment options for metastatic breast cancer (MBC) is becoming increasingly complicated and therapy depends on a complex interaction of tumor, patient, and physician variables. Arguably one of the most important factors determining choice of first-line chemotherapy is prior adjuvant therapy. We have reviewed data from large, randomized clinical trials to identify the most effective regimens and help clinicians to select first-line treatment based on previous adjuvant therapy. In this review we provide recommendations on the most appropriate first-line therapy according to the type of previous adjuvant therapy. With such a wide array of treatment options available, none is likely to become the gold-standard first-line treatment for MBC. Furthermore, as increasing emphasis is placed on the quality as well as the duration of survival after development of MBC, treatment decisions should take into account tumor characteristics, toxicity, convenience, potential impact on quality of life, and patient preference, in addition to robust efficacy data.
Janine

Return to “Secondary Breast Cancer”